Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter in the Hills


After many years of hearing about it from the Master Lord, I finally went with Michelle and Canadian Debbie to the Easter Hill Country Tour. This event is 3 days of no-frills riding in the Texas HILL country....and hilly it was! Met a new training friend, Amy, who came along with Michelle.

First up was a 47 mile ride on Friday. Well, mile 9 almost did me in. The "BEAR", as it's known got to me about 1/3 of the way up. It was so steep that I thought I should upclip one side. BIG mistake. When you slow down enough to unclip on a very steep hill, you can't get enough momentum to get going again. It was so steep, I was sliding on my clips when I was WALKING up! Had to stop and put my clip covers on so I could get to the top. Made it through the rest of the hills.

Day two was 66 miles. Well, we should have known there was going to be a problem when the street sign even warned cars of the upcoming "hill". So what did they call all those other things I had been climbing without the warning sign. When we got to the top (I actually made it to the top this time cuz I WAS NOT walking even though this hill was steeper than the BEAR), the guy at the rest stop told us we were at "Eagle's Nest". Glad I didn't know the name before I started climbing.

Sunday we woke to rain and very wet streets. So we headed back through the storms back to Houston and I rode the 19 mile ride I was supposed to do in the Hill Country on the trainer.

Best part of the weekend was fun with the girls, meeting Amy and knowing that I'm one step closer to being ready for the mountains in Canada!


Workout Log

Sunday, Mar 29
2 hour ride, 30 minute brick run

Monday, Mar 30
45 minute ride on trainer

Tuesday, Mar 31
1 hour weights
45 minute hill run

Wednesday, April 1
60 minute swim with Canadian Debbie
Yoga 1 hour

Thursday, April 2
45 min ride on trainer
45 min run

Friday, April 3
OFF

Saturday, April 4
1 hour swim in New Orleans

Sunday, April 5
Support Crew at Ironman New Orleans 70.3 Ran about 3 miles!

Monday, Apr 6
90 minute ride on trainer

Tuesday, Apr 7
Overslept and missed weights
45 minute hill run in Land of Sugar

Wednesday, Apr 8
Swam 1 hour with Canadian Debbie
Yoga 1 hour

Thursday, Apr 9
OFF

Friday, Apr 10
47 mile ride in the Hill Country

Saturday, Apr 11
66 mile ride in the Hill Country

Sunday, Apr 12
Brick: 19 mile ride/30 minute run

No comments: