Saturday, October 25, 2008

Roll the Dice, It's Bunco Time in Texas

Bunco - I think in Webster's it's defined as a Texas phenemenon better known as an excuse for women to get together, eat, drink and gossip thinly disguised as a mindless dice game. I'd never heard of this until I moved to Texas. I've been part of my bunco group for about 10 years now. It's a group of special girls most of whom I worked with at Texaco many years ago. Tonight was my turn to host.



Being allergic to cooking as I am, I ordered dinner from Pappasitos for the girlz. Well, if there's one thing my Mamma taught me, it's never run out of food for your guests. I ordered 5 pounds of fajita meat. When I got home, for some reason it just didn't look like it was enough. So I went to Lupe Tortillas and got another two hunks of beef. Ahh, now I felt better. Well, needless to say, I have about 4 pounds of meat and fixins left over.



In past years when I hosted, the chef of the family, Mr. Smarty Pants always cooked. This year, he decided to focus on dessert only. What a hit! He kept to the Fall/Halloween theme and made pumpkin pie and the most delicious caramel apples (drizzled in white chocolate) you have ever tasted. Man that boy can create some tasty vittles.



Sunday is the big Houston Half Marathon that June and I will be relaying. It will be my longest run since surgery. I'll do the first leg and then hand off to June at mile 6.5. Since it's another 2 miles back to the car, I'm going to run alongside June for the first 2 miles of her leg. I'm pretty excited about this since this will get me closer to the mileage required to do the full marathon in January.



So, who's up for a fajita leftovers celebration lunch on Sunday after the race?

1 comment:

sassy stephanie said...

Another makeover! Love the pink gerber.

Bunco and food? We always and I mean ALWAYS had tons of food leftover. Of course, prolly cuz my group referred to themselves as "drunco".

Hope the race was fun!